Considered By Many, The Greatest Basketball Player Who Ever Lived, Jordan Graduated From Laney High School In Wilmington, NC And In 1981, Earned A Basketball Scholarship To The University Of North Carolina At Chapel Hill. He Was Named Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) Freshman Of the Year, After He Averaged 13.4 Points Per Game. In 1982, With 18 Seconds Left, He Made The 16- Foot, Game-Winning Jump Shot That Gave The UNC Tarheels A National Championship --- Beating Georgetown University, With A 63-62 Victory. As A Junior, He Was Named College Basketball's National Player Of The Year In 1984.
It Was Also In 1984 That Micheal Jordan Entered The NBA Draft, Rather Than Return To North Carolina For His Senior Year. The Chicago Bulls Selected Jordan With The Third Overall Pick, After Hakeem Olajuwon (Houston Rockets) And Sam Bowie (Portland Trail Blazers). Jordan Returned To North Carolina to Complete His Degree In 1986.
While In The NBA, Michael Jordan Became The League's Most Popular, Dominant And Marketable Player. He Was Rookie Of The Year, A 6-Time NBA Champion, A 2-Time Olympic Gold Medalist, A 2-Time Slam Dunk Champion, A 5 -Time Regular-Season MVP, The Holder Of Ten Scoring Titles, A 14-time All-Star, A 3-Time All-Star MVP, A 10-Time All-NBA First Team Selection, A 9-Time NBA All-Defensive First Team Selection And One Of The 50 Greatest Players in NBA History.
An ESPN Survey of Journalists, Athletes And Other Sports Figures Ranked Jordan The Greatest North American Athlete Of The 20th Century. Jordan Placed Second To Babe Ruth In The Associated Press's List Of 20th Century Athletes. The Associated Press Also Voted Him The Basketball Player Of The 20th Century. Jordan Has Also Appeared On The Front Cover Of Sports Illustrated A Record 49 Times. In The September 1996 Issue Of Sport, Which Was The Publication's 50th Anniversary Issue, Jordan was Named The Greatest Athlete Of The Past 50 Years.
Michael Jordan Has Been A Major Pitchman For Johnson Haircare Products, Nike, Coca-Cola, Chevrolet, Gatorade, McDonald's, Ball Park Franks, Rayovac, Wheaties, Hanes, And MCI. He Has Had A Long Relationship With Gatorade -- Appearing In Over 20 Commercials For The Company Since 1991, Including The "Like Mike" Ads.
Nike Created A Signature Shoe For Him, The Air Jordan. Nike Spun Off The Jordan Line Into Its Own Division. The Company, Called The "Jordan Brand." Features A List Of Well-Known Athletes And Celebrities, As Endorsers.
Jordan's Yearly Income From He Endorsements Is Estimated To Be Over $40 Million Dollars. Jordan Has Also Appeared In Movies, Music Videos And TV Commercials With Stars Like Spike Lee And Michael Jackson.
After Assuming An Ownership And Team Executive Role With The Washington Wizards in 2000, Jordan Jordan Ended His Playing Career With That Team. On June 15, 2006, Jordan Became A Part-Owner Of The Charlotte Bobcats And Was Named "Managing Member Of Basketball Operations." He Had The Largest Individual Holding In The Team After Majority Owner Robert L. Johnson. On February 27, 2010, Jordan Bought A Majority Share Of The Team from Johnson And Became The First Black To Have Sole Ownership Of An NBA Franchise.
Michael Jordan Was Inducted Into The NBA's Hall Of Fame In 2009.
Michael Jordan List of Career Achievements:
* Olympic Gold Medal: 1984, 1992
* NBA Champion: 1991, 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998
* NCAA National Championship: 1982
* NBA MVP: 1987/88, 1990/91, 1991/92, 1995/96 1997/98
* NBA Finals MVP: 1990/91, 1991/92, 1992/93, 1995/96, 1996/97, 1997/98
* NBA Leading Scorer: 1986/87, 1987/88, 1988/89, 1989/90, 1990/91, 1991/92, 1992/93, 1995/96, 1996/97, 1997/98
* All-NBA First Team: 1986/87, 1987/88, 1988/89, 1989/90, 1990/91, 1991/92, 1992/93, 1995/96, 1996/97, 1997/98
* All-NBA Second Team: 1984/85
* NBA All-Star Game: 1984/85, 1985/86, 1986/87, 1987/88, 1988/89, 1989/90, 1990/91, 1991/92, 1992/93, 1995/96, 1996/97, 1997/98, 2001/02, 2002/03
* NBA All-Star Game MVP: 1987/88, 1995/96, 1997/98
* NBA All-Defensive Team: 1987/88, 1988/89, 1989/90, 1990/91, 1991/92, 1992/93, 1995/96, 1996/97, 1997/98
* NBA Defensive Player of the Year: 1987/88
* NBA Rookie of the Year: 1984/85
* NBA Slam Dunk Contest winner: 1987, 1988
* ACC Freshman of the Year: 1982
* ACC Men's Basketball Player of the Year: 1984
* USBWA College Player of the Year: 1984
* Naismith College Player of the Year: 1984
* John R. Wooden Award: 1984
* Adolph Rupp Trophy: 1984
* Sports Illustrated Sportsman of the Year: 1991
* Ranked #1 by SLAM Magazine's Top 75 Players of All-Time
* Ranked #1 by ESPN Sportscentury's Top 100 Athletes of the 20th century
* NBA Hall of Fame Inductee: 2009
* North Carolina Sports Hall of Fame Inductee: 2010
"In Order For Black History To Live, We Must Continue To Breathe Life Into It." -- Hubert Gaddy, Jr.